A Waldorf-inspired summer day program for children 4-14
Welcome to the Berkshires, country landscape with city culture. Grownup fun includes world class museums, day hikes, art galleries, music, Shakespeare & Co, wellness centers Canyon Ranch and Kripalu, and the dance capital of America, Jacob’s Pillow. With the Appalachian Trail and streams, rivers, waterfalls, lakes and ponds nearby, all doors lead outside. Summer temps average between 70-80 degrees, so families stay for a week or two (or six!) at a time.
Ready to spread out in a place so full of grass that people eat dinner on it? (Lawn tickets to Tanglewood are one of the most relaxing traditions and best deals of summer in the Berkshires.) We’ve got a fun place for your kids to spend the day, the Summer@Steiner Waldorf day program. Our weekly program for children 4-14 is 9am-3pm M-F and includes classic summer country fun — climbing trees, harvesting snacks from our own biodynamic gardens, playing with friends and hanging out in the coolest swimming hole. Now’s a good time to register, since spots fill quickly, especially for the younger groups. At $300 per week per child, it’s affordable to stay awhile.
There are family summer rentals in the area, and we have Steiner discount rates with two local inns, the Briarcliff Hotel near Monument Mountain and Days Inn, walking distance to downtown Great Barrington. (Book directly and mention “Steiner” for the best rate.) Summer@Steiner is your summer place in the Berkshires – give us a quick call (413-528-4015 x. 0) or email (email@example.com) if you have questions. And remember writer Henry James’ two favorite words in the English language: summer afternoon.
Discoverers (PreK – 1)
The Discoverers program for children aged 4- 6 follows an imaginative, playful and explorative structure. Click here for a sample of last year’s daily schedule. Please note: children must turn 4 by August 1, 2018.
- Circle of song, verse and imagination
- Snack preparation and picnics
- Imaginative indoor and outdoor play and exploration
- Gardening in our vegetable and flower gardens
- Supervised water play along the Green River and Forests
- Weekly donkey rides on campus with Blue Rider Stables
Adventurers (grades 2 – 4)
The Adventurers thrive on the challenges and new adventures each week brings:
- Outdoor games, craft projects, and special events
- Pool swim with lessons, river exploration
- Full day trip to Lakeville, CT for swimming and beach fun
- Local hikes on area trails
- Weekly recreational or informative field trip
- Gardening in our biodynamic gardens
- Weekly Circus Arts classes at nearby Berkcirque (excluding Week 4/July 16-20)
Explorers (Grades 5 – 8)
This on and off-campus program for Explorers offers an active week of outdoor challenges & camaraderie such as:
- Team sports, tennis, biking and hiking local trails
- Full day trip to Lakeville, CT for picnicking, swimming, kayaking/canoeing
- Swimming at special swimming holes and nearby pool
- Special events like rock climbing or a water park trip (additional fee may apply)
- Participation in the Explorers requires moderate endurance and adequate biking skills
Summer @ Steiner 2018
|Week 1||June 25 – 29|
|Week 2||July 2 – July 6|
|Week 3||July 9- 13|
|Week 4||July 16 – 20|
|Week 5||July 23 – 27|
|Week 6||July 30 – August 3|
Grade in fall 2018
Each session runs Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Weekly rate is $300.
Groups fill up, so enroll early! To reserve your space, click here to register online. You will have the option to register with a non-refundable deposit of $100 for each week enrolled (balance is due by the Monday of each session), or you may pay in full. We recommend a minimum of two weeks enrollment.
Please note: A $25 service fee will be incurred for changes in weeks enrolled.
Head counselors are adults experienced in working with groups of children, who have the support of an assistant counselor.
Swimming lessons take place at Simon’s Rock College. Weekly lake trips are to Lakeville, CT. There is a lifeguard present at both locations. Transportation to off-campus activities is through GBRSS mini-buses.
For answers to questions, please call (413) 528-4015 ext. 0 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.