At the Steiner School, young children learn through imaginative play, explorations in nature, real work, singing, storytelling and puppetry. Their later academic success is fueled by rich sensory experiences, providing a holistic education that honors each child’s developmental readiness and innate potential, as they learn first hand how the world works.
Early childhood classes take place in nurturing classrooms filled with the fragrance of handmade bread or soup made with vegetables the children harvest from our own organic garden. Children engage their imaginations indoors with simple natural playthings and outdoors with the best playthings of all: the Hairy Beary Woods, Tree Island and surrounding gardens, fields and streams, changing through the seasons of the year.
The Steiner School welcomes your application for Fall 2019; sliding-scale tuition is available for mixed-age Early Childhood (pre-K) and Kindergarten programs. Waldorf-inspired summer day programs are also available starting at age 4. For more information, call Admissions Director Robyn Coe at 413-528-4015, ext. 106 or register for a school tour.
Early childhood at Steiner develops your child’s capacities for creative thinking, problem solving and collaboration through play, painting, beeswax modeling, baking, building, sewing, songs, games and plenty of outdoor play in all weathers. The dependable rhythms of the school day nurture your child’s natural feelings of wonder and trust, enhance self-esteem and openness toward life and learning, and create a natural bridge from home to school. Stories and puppet plays build a warm bond with the teacher and help your child learn to create inner pictures, the foundation for academic learning and problem-solving in grade school and beyond. The sensory richness and will work of early childhood bridges to abstract learning in first grade.
- Children who are 2 years, 9 months old and toileting independently by September 1 are ready for mixed-age Early Childhood classes (pre-K) in the fall, and 4 years old by September 1, for Kindergarten.
- Choose Early Childhood classes 3, 4 or 5 full days or mornings per week; Kindergarten classes 4 or 5 full days or mornings.
- Morning classes start at 8:15 and end at noon; full day classes extend until 2:45, and include lunchtime, rest time and an additional outside play time.
- Early Childhood and Kindergarten classes create a special community snack every morning and bring their own lunch if they stay for the full day.
- After care is also available on an as-needed basis until 5:30pm, charged monthly at the nominal rate of $8/hour.
- Parent-Child Garden classes for children 6 months to 3 years old who are not yet toileting independently take place weekly during 8-week sessions during Fall, Winter and Spring.